Public Domain Hero Origins: Captain Wonder


Hey uh..surprise! After a long hiatus of not doing anything, especially comics which I haven't done since Obama's first term here's...here's some comics!

I've been meaning to do more stuff with Public Domain heroes and since a game is taking me a lot to make (am now learning to animate so I can take on the animation stuff myself) well I decided why not just show people my ideas for how I'd reinvent these characters?


It took me like  2 weeks to make, in part because I lost the shading layers for some reason. 

But uh...I don't want to say more I want the work to speak for itself. 












So now you read all that I can now expand some of what I meant.

My main idea with this was in the original Bob Victor is essentially  a guy who goes to some cave with some Yogi guy he knows and he's like "hey gods, gimme  powers" and they do it. Just that easy. There's a cave and if you ask nice gods will turn you into Canadian Superman.

So I was like how can we make the general idea of a character walking into  a cave and  coming out a superhero? And I contrived this scenario.


I know you may be thinking " Hey he's a lot like [redacted]". First of all...YES. He was ALWAYS like [redacted]. I made him  more like that in some ways, but less like that in others. See the thing is what I really want is to work on [redacted] but since  I know some people wanna argue they own [redacted] I thought of him as a backoff [redacted] knockoff.
Speaking of which, some people also wanna claim they own THIS one, too. It apparently caused enough drama in PDSH that they removed him (and the other Triumph  comics characters). I swear I love that Wiki but it gets a bit fighty in there sometimes. I didn't want to raise a stink but they renamed  my page for Karno's Mothmen as Chessmen even though I clearly read the book and it never once called th...

Ehem. Back on topic, I don't care what you believe. Sue me and prove it. But I suspect nobody cares about this character in particular. Nobody's even using it anyway. It's all about Nelvana.


 I  also shaved off some of the Canada nationalism off of it but not because I think it's bad or anything. It's just that I, a Puerto Rican that has never been north of New York, don't feel confident  portraying Canada Nationalism well.
(Is nationalism the right term? I feel like I'm talking about one of those guys who shoot mosques when I say that)

Anyway enjoy this and let me know in the comments below if you'd like to see more of these characters or other reinvented characters.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the comic and humor i dont know what the character you remade is but yours is good. only problem i see is too much potential..the word balloons could be great with a better font and centered text. a lot of potential for greatness

What are you guys watching?